Tie Dye Popularity
Tie dye was first popular in the 1960s as free form art, then exploded in the 70s as fashion. Tie dye is a personal badge of freedom and a form of therapy.
Tie dye became popular as an idea; clothing can be a form of protest. Wearing shocking tie dye became a popular way to protest the Vietnam war.
This is Joe Cocker at Woodstock in 1969.
Tie dye popularity
Tie dye is most popular when people feel powerless to affect important aspects of their lives; like when the people in charge put their interests above the interests of the people they supposedly serve.
During the 1960s the people in charge of the US sent an ever increasing number of young Americans to fight and die in their futile proxy cold war in Vietnam.
When young Americans finally objected loudly and protested loudly, they were literally shot down, so they continued to protest silently with tie dye. It helped. People started talking.
Tie Dye Decade
What decade was tie dye popular, and what decade is tie dye, tries to identify one of the last six decades as the peak of tie dye popularity. That's tough. Let's review the epic US fails that have made people feel powerless and kept tie dye popular.
- 1960s - the Bay of Pigs invasion, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the JFK Assassination, the Tonkin Resolution, the Vietnam war, the MLK Assassination
- 1970s - Kent State, Watergate, the Energy Crisis, Mandatory Busing, the Chrysler Bailout, the Iran Hostage Crisis.
- 1980s - the Drug War, the AIDs scandal, Iran-Contra, Iraq-Gate, the Savings and Loan Bailout
- 1990s - the Gulf War, the Siege of Ruby Ridge, the Waco standoff, the Oklahoma City bombing scandal
- 2000s - the 911 scandal, the War on Terror, the Iraq war, the Afgan war, the Housing crash, the Banking Industry Bailout, the Swine Flu scandal
- 2010s - the IRS scandal, the ISIS scandal, the Ebola scandal, the Patriot Act, mass NSA surveillance, Big Tech Censorship.
Tie Dye is therapy
Vogue Magazine Fall 2017 posted MFW Trend: When Tie-Dye Goes Luxe to show how tie dye has changed.
Today the men (and women) in charge want to control you more than ever and censor your protests, but don't fret. Be patient. Things change. Make a silent stand and feel good about it with tie dye.
If your dog picks up what you're feeling get them a tie dye bandana. You'll both feel better in no time.
Start your tie dye therapy today.
- Be optimistic!
- There's still beauty in the world!