Ice Tie Dye
Ice Tie Dye is easy and beautiful. Dyes on melting ice create beautiful watercolor like patterns. It converts plain white fabric into an abstract work of art.
Ice Tie Dye Technique
Like tie dye, you start by folding fabric to control how dye colors will flow through it. Then you lay ice pieces on top to control how dye colors will flow to it. Then you apply powdered dyes on top to control where dye color flows start.
The Final Product is the combined effect of how you folded the fabric, the pattern of the ice pieces, and how much and where you applied the dye colors.
How to Ice Tie Dye
Ice dye vs tie dye. There are many places that sell dyes and tie dye kits where you can learn how to ice dye or tie dye with ice. Make your own ice tie dye shirt.
Experiment until you get it right. Learn more about hand dyeing anything at Paula Burch's site All About Hand Dyeing It's an older site, but an amazing resource.
Ice Tie Dye basics
- Powdered dyes let the ice control how dyes flow.
- Ice pieces control how dyes flow to the fabric.
- Dyes flow in random patterns as the ice melts
- Fabric folds control how dyes flow through it.
Ice Tie Dye Color basics
- Dyes flow after they are applied
- Separate dye colors change color when they flow together
- White space (no dye) is okay.